Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Intorsion


The forest was unnaturally bright, welcoming.
Yet only with the cautious movement of skepticism.

Entering, one foot to another, a close width path forces
an increase in unusual awareness. Traveling deeper
in an addictive nature, shadows of the wilderness tend to
engulf me whole, while unknown growth distorts what is left of a clear thought.

Deeper. Deeper, as my eyes struggle to find a hint of that warming light from above.
The darkness prevails, like a short winter’s day,
as a mono painted cloud hides the demanding element.
My pace becomes steadier with eagerly placed steps, barely
maintaining balance over the rooted surface.
Adjusting eyes are forced to focus on a small wooden footbridge ahead.
Stumbling. Running, the crossing is met. Eager feet creak over
the neglected, tarred structure to its unconfident peak.
Without patience, I peer over the rough, splintered rails, and glance
into the murky water. No eyes return a familiar stare in the eerily calm liquid.
An eternity seems to float by as my hurried arrival is accompanied by a swift exit.

Pacing further, mind distraught, not returning glance at the now long past bridge.
Heavily weighted questions begin to tire my overwhelmed mind, and body.
Developing fear, as the unknown designs created by my lack of mindfulness
become clever distractions of an evil hand, only to be fixated on one’s self.
Furiously shaking, the conscious appears, and reappears as often as blinking sight.
The blurry surroundings remind me of my sprinting. Heavy breathing. Pores venting.
Like a trial by fire. Spring-cleaning. 

As quickly as a longed dry forest ignites, the burst is intense, accurate, 
and adequately liberating. Legs are numb, rate is moderate,
as the color appears ahead. No longer is the clouded darkness a focus as the vivid green
floods any doubting perception. As the senses begin to clear, my internal roots
continue to rush pure blood through lethargic muscles.
I have reached the clearing, the beautiful, and breathtaking clearing.
I transcend the dark forest, and stand amongst the infant dandelions,
slowly breathe in the vast beauty, and endless inspiration now surrounding me.
Golden rays descend onto a nearby spring, glittering.
Cautiously, I approach, welcomed by leaping splashes.
I gaze into the organic mirror decorated with dancing gold and resting green,
recognizing at last a returning figure with a gesture long-forgotten, 
... and smile.

1 comment:

  1. makes me wanna go live in the woods man!!


    man, keep this going

    ReplyDelete